Thursday, January 30, 2014

I Liked It Better When It Was Just Freezing

Today for my long run, I was treated to a light layer of slush over the packed snow (yuck - plus hard work to run on), and then wicked wind on the lakefront (also hard to run in).

I was close to cutting things short, and did end up cutting back off of the lake to the Lincoln Park / Gold Coast neighborhoods. But I made a pit stop, found clear sidewalks, and got away from the wind, thereby getting my second (or third, or fourth) wind, and so was able to finish out my full mileage.

And now I'm ravenous and about to take my second break to get more food. The first round was salt. This round will be sugar. Rawr.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes, yikes, yikes! Are there many other runners out there this time of year in Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week when it was frigid I only saw one other runner. This week there were a few. One man's smile was enough to carry me for nearly a mile - most looked very grim. But why? Why do this if it's not fun? I try to smile at every runner I see, especially in extreme weather - I like to acknowledge the special kind of crazy we are.

      Delete
    2. Sigh. I read this blog post, and then read the comment... and I decided I couldn't count myself among the "Chicago runners" if I ignored my planned 3 mile run today... so I ran (5 miles) and came back in to confirm: Yes. There are other runners in the Chicagoland area this time of year.

      Delete
    3. Ha! My nefarious plan is working.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine how hard running in slush must be! Good work!

    ReplyDelete