Tuesday, April 19, 2011

And the Reading of Inspiring Books

Home sick. The kind of sick where what I'm supposed to do is sleep, sleep, sleep, and maybe do some light lounging around, reading fluff magazines. Only I don't like sleeping during the day. And I don't like reading fluff. So I've taken my morning nap and am now lounging around reading somewhat more substantive matter, just not in any focused way.

The last few weeks have been mostly study, personal study and reflection (Finding Your Own North Star by Martha Beck and The Dangerous Act of Loving Your Neighbor by Mark Labberton). Nothing I can really write about here, I'm nowhere near coming to any conclusions or particular actions. Just moving in that way, which is enough.

And then reading inspiring books, mostly memoirs, sort of a collection of modern-day "Lives of the Saints." Three Cups of Tea (though I've also downloaded the Jon Krakauer expose on Greg Mortenson and will get to that soon*), Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (about Dr. Paul Farmer), The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day, Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn, Take This Bread by Sara Miles. And then, because I don't only read non-fiction, the marvelous (though difficult) The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.

Feeling sleepy... I may just lie down on the couch and see what happens... no pressure...

*Note added 4/20: Wow! Just finished reading the Krakauer piece and it's clear that there are a lot of problems with how Greg Mortensen portrays himself in his books (and public appearances) --- not so inspiring anymore, more disappointing. Boo-hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment