Monday, September 28, 2009

September Reading, Had Me A Blast

Not that I've read many books this month, but with the new daycare being a short walk from home, I can finally read on the train on my way to and from work again. Bliss!

I've also been reading a bit more at night, oddly enough because I'm going to bed earlier --- I need a little literature to settle down and go to sleep at what feels to me like a ridiculously early hour.

So I've been catching up on my magazines on the commute and tucking into more thoughtful books at night, and what a pleasure it is. And of course continuing with the urban fantasy kick I've been on for the last three months, though I am slowly running out of titles. But that's okay, it's fall. Time for football, scary movies, and documentaries, so I think I'm ready to put aside the speed reading for now.

Here's a sampling of what I've been into the past six months.

Magazines
  • Running Times & Runner's World (big surprise)
  • The Week
  • Sports Illustrated
  • Random issues of Real Simple, Wired, Parents, and Men's Health
Summer Quickies
  • Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
  • Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris
  • Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
  • Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs
  • "Fables" vol. 9-11 (graphic novel)
  • Jennifer Crusie novels
Novels That Caught My Eye at the Library That I Actually Finished
  • "Good Faith" --- Jane Smiley
  • "Downtown Owl" --- Chuck Klosterman
  • "Fool" --- Christopher Moore
Recent Fave Sports Reads
  • "Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running" --- Rachel Toor
  • "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" --- Christopher McDougall
  • "Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, An American Town" --- Warren St. John
Currently on the Shelf
  • "Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America" --- Jonathon Gould
  • "The Great Transformation: The Beginnings of our Religious Traditions" --- Karen Armstrong
  • "Dara Torres: Age is Just a Number" --- Dara Torres with Elizabeth Weil
  • "Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon" --- (ed.) Neal Jamison
  • "Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done" --- David Allen
Slow and Savory (Bedside Table)
  • "Quilts in America" --- Patsy & Myron Orlofsky
  • "Teresa of Avila: The Book of My Life" --- (trans.) Mirabai Starr
  • "Der Raeuber Hotzenplotz" --- Otfried Preussler
  • "Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism" --- Tenzin Palmo
  • Gute Nachricht Bibel
I wonder how many of these will still be unfinished, six months from now?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including me. Nice to be in such good company. Rachel Toor (Personal Record)

    ReplyDelete