Thursday, September 1, 2011

May Have Spoke Too Soon

So I went running today. Didn't mean to, wasn't planning on it, and really what I'm doing can hardly be called "running." More like "moving forward at a gait that is not exactly walking since at some point both feet are actually off the ground (barely)"...

I planned to go for a walk after dropping Buddy off, not long, since I had to be in at work early, but it's been so long since I had regular exercise that I was going a little stir-crazy. Put my headphones on, starting walking briskly. After about a half mile I thought, well, maybe I might try running for a block, epsecially since I was cutting things tight timewise as it was. Ran for a block. Walked a block. Ran for another block. Walked a block. Then thought I might try running two blocks and ended up going for three.. and from there I mostly ran the rest of the way back home, with some short walk breaks here and there. And would have loved to do more if I'd had the time...

During that last mile when I was mostly running, the George Michael "Freedom 90" song came up on my playlist and it just felt so dead-on. Because the thing is, even though I'm not especially fast (even when not pregnant), and even though I have to be careful about not running too many miles in a week (since this older body doesn't recover like it used to), nothing gives me the feeling that running does. When I run I feel free and strong and nothing, absolutely nothing, is the same at all. So yes, there are times when I run when it's probably not the wisest or best thing to be doing for myself at that time (like when sick, or have other things I should be doing), and I just don't care. I want to run.

There's something deep inside of me
There's someone else I've got to be...
All we have to see
Is that I don't belong to you
And you don't belong to me...

Take back your picture in a frame
Don't think that I'll be back again...
May not be what you want from me
Just the way it's got to be...

1 comment:

  1. Hey there - Paula Radcliffe ran about ten miles every day of her pregnancy. If you feel okay and you enjoy it - then do it! As I'm sure you know - your body will tell you when to stop :)

    ReplyDelete