Monday, April 25, 2016

So I Ran This Race Yesterday (Ravenswood Run 5K)

I've run it before, a number of times. Four years in a row, to be precise. And The Dude ran it last year when I didn't.

Yesterday was the slowest I have ever run it, aside from the first time (when I was pregnant with G).

I was working it too, training in the weeks beforehand, warming up beforehand (but not too much), managing my energy, pushing myself, shooting for at least a sub-30:00. Which I made (29:35), with a little cushion. That lined up with what I'd been managing to do in my tempo runs and speed workouts.

Training runs aside, I truly did not know if I would be able to run under 30:00 this year. All of my running has been hard-fought this year thus far. And to be honest, because of that, I wasn't sure I really wanted to race this. I would have been quite content if D had decided he wanted to do the full race this year along with me, which would have necessitated a different approach. But he wanted to do the kids' dash this year again - they get t-shirts and medals. The 5K runners just get t-shirts.

(He's quick enough but his strength is in longer distances, not these 100m dashes, so we're not-so-subtly encouraging him to move into 5Ks.)

I've been all over the place in my thinking about my running this spring, which is why I haven't written about it - or anything - these last weeks. Now that I've done this race I have a better idea of what makes sense for me right now.

Not what I want to do, mind you, but what makes sense for me to do.

In the meantime, it was a good race, it was a good family experience, it was a good way to officially start the season.

With some satisfaction,
Annie


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted! I was literally thinking about you yesterday and how I've missed seeing your blog posts in my reader.

    Congrats on the sub-30! I know how it feels to suddenly feel like you have to work really hard to be at an effort that used to come easily. It can be frustrating. But it sounds like you're working through it.

    ReplyDelete