Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Update on Holiday Baking

Turns out the brownies have been a big hit in our house... which is a shame because I already threw away the recipe. (I had a photocopy from a library book.) Well, I'm sure there's a better one out there, one that I can get out of the pan (and yes, I did let them cool completely first).

The Dude likes a more cake-like brownie and for him I will make his mother's brownie recipe at Christmas, eggs and butter and all. But D and I are fans of the fudgey, gooey brownie type, so I will keep experimenting with different plant-based ones.

Yes, I could get that book out of the library again, but given how poorly they fared getting out of the pan I don't think it's worth the effort. Plus the recipe was oddly fussy. I'll just keep looking for something else.

I had the pleasure of watching The Great Holiday Baking Show on ABC earlier this week. Apparently this is a holiday-themed remake of a British competition. I always want to watch baking competition shows, and when we used to stay at my mother-in-law's and she had cable she and I would watch the Food Network together. But those shows were always too frantic and I would end up doing something else. This show is more quietly paced and less cutthroat - at least so far - and it's only on for four weeks, so I'm looking forward to watching it in its entirety.

The Dude keeps grumbling about it but then reminds himself in the next breath that I don't fuss about him watching TV during various playoff weeks.

Looking forward to the last piece of pumpkin pie tonight,
Annie


2 comments:

  1. And of course, watching TV during playoff weeks does not inspire…brownies! Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. He should be thanking me.

      And this week he actually sat down and watched with me.

      Delete