Thursday, February 19, 2015

Birthday Challenge 2015

I'll be turning 43 soon, so about a month ago I started thinking about my birthday challenge for the year. Last year's was pretty cool, but I decided I didn't want to take on any physical challenges for myself this year, in keeping with my resolution to spend more time on my other interests. So what to do? Up until last weekend all I knew was that I would take a day off for myself - how was I going to use it?

The answer? A multi-stage challenge:
  • 90 minutes running
  • 90 minutes painting
  • 90 minutes on writing projects
  • 90 minutes on my latest quilt
The running is just because I like to start my days off that way, and that's what I'm up to in terms of distance. The painting is next because it will be the most challenging, as I've written before. I have a couple of specific writing projects that I want to finish, and 90 minutes should allow me to do so (if I get my preparatory work done), and 90 minutes working on a quilt is easy - though again, to make best use of that uninterrupted kid-free time, I have some significant prep work to do first.

Speaking of preparatory work, here's what I need to get done in the next few days:

Painting
  1. Inventory all my paints (oil, acrylic, and watercolor) and determine what I'm missing; 
  2. Reorganize my paint bins in the process of doing inventory
  3. Review my basic oil technique book and determine what other supplies I might need
  4. Visit an art supply store for most-needed supplies
Writing
  1. Type up the first draft of one essay
  2. Start writing notes for the second
  3. Read a book related to the material for the second essay
Quilting
  1. Cut squares for the front (nearly done)
  2. Cut squares for the back
  3. Piece strips to make multi-hued squares
Good thing it's a snow day today - I might be able to get some of this work done!

Productively yours,
Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment