Thursday, October 16, 2014

Running Updates

You may remember that I was just a wee bit worried about how I was going to continue my running as our commute got longer (moved further west) and also more complicated (kids in two different locations).

I'm very happy to report that it's been okay. I have primary commuting responsibility for the Goo, and he's still in the same location, so my runs into work haven't been impacted at all. Those days when I want to run home first I have to be more mindful of time - a lot more mindful, as it takes longer to get him there in the first place, and longer to get myself to work once I'm back home. So those runs have been made shorter, or sometimes scheduled for my lunch break instead. That's fine for now, as I'm currently training for a 15K and don't need to put in a lot of mileage. Once I start training for my next half I'll probably start run commuting into work twice a week (right now I just do once a week, for my long run). But I've done that before, and enjoyed it, so I'll be fine with doing that again.

(One unexpected benefit from running during the workday is that I've started heading north, into Lincoln Park, and exploring that area more. Which includes the amazing boardwalk at Lincoln Park Zoo! So that's been a real treat.)

All this needing to be super mindful of how I spend my time has led me to decide that I am not going to run a marathon in 2015 either. I want to wait until I can really train properly for it, which will involve getting weekday runs in before the kids need me in the morning (so Goo needs to get a bit older) and also doing my long long runs on the weekends instead of on the way to work (I've learned I can manage up to 14 miles as my commute but more than that takes too much time and too much effort from my workday). So here's to 2016!

And here's to keeping my runs in! Next week I'll update about the whole boxing business.

Gratefully,
Annie

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I love my visits to Chicago when I can run on the boardwalk at the LPZoo. Missing it terribly as I read your post.

    ReplyDelete