Monday, December 2, 2013

Going Long, Refining Plans, Making Friends

Running my virtual half last week made me remember just how much I love running long. As in, I love it.

And then I read this post from No Meat Athlete, "5 'Easy' Steps for Making Your Unrealistic Goal a Reality".

So I'll just go ahead and say it. For some years my Secret Burning Ambition has been to run Western States 100.

Go ahead, look it up. It's insane, I know. Even if I manage to qualify I don't know that I could ever get in (a lot of people trying for not a lot of spaces - it's a lottery system).

But knowing that Western States is my ultimate big-ass goal (and claiming it as that) makes other things clearer.

So here's the updated plan for 2014 (and beyond).

I'll keep working towards my virtual indoor Olympic tri on February 28, just to keep my training options open during these winter months and for overall fitness. But I'll also keep going long every other week or so, just to maintain half marathon readiness.

Then come spring I'll start extending those long runs so that I can be at marathon readiness, and I'll also start actively investigating trails and trail race options. My plan is to run at least one half marathon or longer trail race next year, and hopefully two. (Plus I'll do the Fleet Feet Women's Half again in June just because I love it.)

And then in January 2015 it's the Harbison 50K outside of Columbia, South Carolina.

I have some good resources for running ultras, so over the winter I'll read up. And I won't be doing this alone, there are at least two other folks from my online group planning this too.

But, wow!

Yours excitedly,
Annie

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, so exciting!!! I can't wait to follow all your training!

    ReplyDelete