Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I'll Tell You What I Want, What I Really Really Want

I want to run the Western States 100.

I want to hike the Appalachian Trail (with The Dude).

I want to have a job where I'm working with women or children in a socially responsible health/fitness/sport-related capacity.

Since I started thinking about this post I've had all kinds of arguments going in my head with imaginary opponents. In my head it's somehow self-indulgent and wasteful to focus on the physical. Well, screw that. This is what I want. This is pretty much what I've always wanted, though the exact goals have changed over the years. And even when I was eighty pounds heavier and my only exercise was walking all over town in the middle of the night, in my dreams I was hiking tall mountains and swimming oceans and leaping obstacles in a single bound. And now I'm forty and I've had my kids and it's time to do it.

Goodbye doubts, hello blisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment