Friday, January 20, 2012

2011 Goals Review - and Beyond

I always like to spend some some time each January thinking about what I hope to accomplish in the following year, and looking back at the year that's just finished. Clearly, my goals for 2011 were impacted by my spending most of the year pregnant and then with a newborn. Still, while the details of my plans may not have come to pass, I think the spirit of them did, and for that I'm grateful. 

2011 Goals 

Get to 145 lbs. and run the Chicago Half-Marathon in September.
Well, I did manage to lose 5 pounds before I got pregnant --- but then put on A LOT of weight during pregnancy, more so than I did with my first one. I was not happy about that but by the end had to just accept both the weight and that for whatever reason I wasn't going to eat as well as I did the first time. Thankfully as soon as Champ was born I had an overwhelming desire to eat well again (aside from holiday treats) so I'm feeling better about that.

I did manage to keep running through most of my pregnancy, with some stops and starts, and I'm very glad about that. I also ran three races while pregnant, with partners, and felt I ran them with a good mix of pushing myself while doing so safely. And got to enjoy the whole race experience as well.

Be job search ready by the end of the year.
Hah. No. But I did get a lot more clarity about what it is I'm looking for. I also started a new initiative at work, cleared house on a bunch of stuff, worked on being more timely and efficient, and continued to educate myself and share what I learned with others. So not feeling like a complete sloth around this stuff.

Spend a year exploring my work (and the work of artists I admire), without thought of selling it, and document what I learn. 
This is the only area where I would say I really did meet my goal, though not in regards to documenting my work. It's funny, I kept taking things off my to-do lists as the year went on --- not because I had accomplished them but because I realized there was no way I was going to --- so my impression of my artistic accomplishments was pretty pessimistic. It wasn't until I went back and looked at what my actual goal for the year had been that I realized that I had set no goals for myself regarding output. (Sometimes I'm smarter than I think.) But I had a pretty satisfying year in terms of learning about art, thinking about my own, and continuing to move forward with my artistic pursuits.

So for 2012? Pretty much the same overall, just with different details (especially since I now have two children demanding my energy and focus, not just one). I have a different number in mind for my weight and a different race as well. I plan to continue along the same paths of improvement at work and just tweak my studies to reflect changes in vision (and yes, finally update my resume and LinkedIn profile). And I'll continue to deepen my engagement with art, my own and others, and find ways to share that pursuit with others.

Here's to a happy and fruitful 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment