Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Notes on a Week of New Things

I decided last week not to run the Chicago Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon in August after all (and also not to try to do any fundraising). I just don't know from week to week how I will feel, and I never liked the feel of that race anyway, too commercial. Instead I'll just keep my larger goal of training for mid-distance races in mind and try to keep my overall mileage (including swimming) as consistent and as high as possible for as long as possible, so that my heart and lungs stay strong.

I've noticed that since then I'm actually getting more running in. By not having my long runs, which were really wiping me out, I'm able to run more often --- with more mileage overall. Guess that's just where I'm at these days.

Also I've noticed that just in the last week it's gotten harder to run, I have to stop and take more breaks. Oh well, whatever works. I figure at some point things will flip and I'll end up doing more walking than running, but I'm hoping to stave that off as long as possible.

I did have to skip my swim last Friday for work. I hate doing that, especially when the work I'm skipping it for is just mindless administrative tasks. Hrmph.

I went to a movie in the theater for the first time in a year and a half last Saturday --- got invited by a friend to see "Bridesmaids" with her regular "chick-flick" movie-going companion. She had hesitated to ask me since she thought I only watched "sophisticated" movies, hah. (Mostly I watch art/music documentaries, comedies, and action - we saw the Guy Ritchie "Sherlock Holmes" a couple of days ago, for example.)

However, while I very much enjoyed spending the evening with the two of them, I did realize that while I may not always watch serious movies, I am always serious about them. I had wanted to see "Bridesmaids" because I'm familiar with the actors and the director and producers, and was curious about how all those viewpoints would converge. It wasn't long into the movie before I thought, "I should be seeing this with The Dude," because I knew he would be looking for the same sorts of things I was, and has the same approach to movies that I do. (Not always the same opinions, hurrah, so our conversations are always interesting.) Once the movie ended and my companions GOT UP WHILE THE CREDITS WERE STILL ROLLING I realized I probably wasn't going to be able to discuss it at length with them. Which puts me in the position of having A LOT of opinions about this movie --- and having to wait until The Dude gets to see it at home. As I said, I very much enjoyed spending time with these two women and will probably even go see other movies with them from time to time --- just not ones I care a lot about. I'll save those for The Dude.

Something else new I'm going to try... regular themed blog posts. I want to start posting my "week in review" entries over the weekend/Mondays (already behind schedule, I see), and then on Fridays post on some question/book/essay I've been thinking about. There are so many things that get me thinking that I just can't do a quick entry on --- maybe by choosing just one topic a week and then carving out some time each day to think and take notes about it I'll be able to get at least some of these thoughts down. I've been struggling all spring with how to write about some of these things I've been reading, I need to figure out some way of doing it.

Never fear, cute pictures of my kid and random stuff I find online will still make an appearance. Here's one for spring.

For once not trying to "bounce" the tulips.
Happy first day of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment