Friday, May 20, 2011

A Night Out

Oh, it was great to get out last night! The film preview was interesting and I'm looking forward to it being finished (also got more info on the production company, Kartemquin Films, and their other documentaries, which may be useful for work). Learned lots of interesting stuff about Title IX and the work of a Chicago organization, Girls In The Game, that works to bring sports and the numerous advantages of participating in sports to inner-city Chicago girls, which is especially important since sports opportunities in Chicago's public schools and after-school programs keep disappearing, alarmingly so for young women and girls (well, they were barely there for girls to begin with). And got to chat with Emily and Charlotte from Girls On The Run --- they remembered me from last year, which is always nice.

But I think the best part was just being in a room full of people (mostly women, but also some men), thinking about the sorts of things I think about --- how to bring equal opportunities to girls, particularly girls growing up in poverty or low-income areas, how to care for all of our children, and how sexism is still alive and strong in our culture, both internally and in the media.

When I got home The Dude and I ended up in a bit of an argument about the need for Title IX. I actually understand where he was coming from, given his particular experiences, but he asked me a question that I couldn't really answer last night: "Why is Title IX important to you?" We left the discussion last night, if not on the same page, at least somewhere in the same book, but when I woke up this morning that question was the first thing on my mind, and I started thinking about my own history with sports. Lots of emotion there --- no wonder I was upset last night! So I've started taking notes on that and thinking about why Title IX is so important to me. But that's a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment