Friday, January 28, 2011

Workshop In Progress - Jan. 26 (two days late)

So, everything is now cut and even mostly pinned together (though I ran out of pins and miscalculated the number of squares I would need in one fabric, which I haven't had opportunity to cut yet).
The basic idea is to have six rows of nine patch, with a thin sashing of the purple cloth between them, the width of the sashing to be determined once I have made my blocks and laid them out. I may also end up repeating some blocks or using some of a single fabric, I like the idea of some breaks from all the shifting colors.

Since I'm using the purple for the sashing I won't use it in the front blocks. I decided this after having cut all my fabric, though, so I'm going to go ahead and make the blocks with purple in them and then use them in the backing somehow.

The overwhelming advice I got about the backing was to NOT use the knit, and as a beginning quilter I'm going to go with that. (Plus tax refund, woo-hoo! So I don't mind so much buying more fabric.) I'll use the knit for something else, maybe a softie. I plan to go back to the store where I bought all my fat quarters and see if they still have some on the bolt, using one of those or something compatible as the backing, with the purple squares as an accent.

No questions this week, just excited to get sewing! It's been very interesting to see how things look when chopped up small and I'm curious to see what it's like once the seam allowance is also taken up.

2 comments:

  1. I'll look forward to seeing what it looks like next week!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great design. I think it will look great!

    I made the string quilt using this tutorial:

    http://www.filminthefridge.com/2009/04/27/a-string-quilt-block-tutorial-paper-pieced-method/

    Paper piecing was actually pretty fun! The next paper piecing project I want to try is with flying geese in a circle. I just need more scraps...

    by the way, since I can't comment on your blog using my URL, I have to comment using my blogspot blog. My URL is www.squaresandtriangles.com

    ReplyDelete