Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Workshop in Progress - Jan. 19

So I managed to undo, pick threads from, and iron all the strips from the blocks I showed you last week and had started to work on a design when I realized I wanted to use some fabric from another set of blocks I had also done last year... so started over with that set as well. Some photos from the second round:

 

Thank you for all the design suggestions last week! I love Stacked Coins, but had already been planning to use that for a bed quilt I hope to make after this one. At first I thought I would use the Nine Patch with sashing from Amanda Jean's website that Token Asian Friend recommended, but on continued thought I've decided to stick to fabrics I already have and not purchase anything more right now, and there's nothing I have in sufficient quantity that would work for sashing for this. So instead I will use Nine Patch across the whole top and alternate between fabrics in the same color family to keep the individual blocks separate. I'm working on the drawing for this and will have it up next week.

A comment about the fabrics being "girly" got me thinking about the colors (and occasioned the desire to use some of my other fabric as well). The baby I'm making this quilt for has not yet been conceived, let alone possess a gender... let's say this quilt is about setting intentions and being open to possibilities. I'm thinking reds/purples and greens/blues.


So, this week I have a specific question. For the backing, I plan to use a very thin soft cotton knit salvaged from a beloved pyjama set. I figure I'll need to use interfacing, but have no idea how to go about it or how to choose the type of interfacing. Any suggestions? I'll need to use it for another project as well, where I'll be lining a denim amp cover with material from yet another pair of PJs.

6 comments:

  1. Hmm. I would probably suggest that you use the knit for something else. You could use a lightweight fusible interfacing, but it might add unwanted stiffness to the project. Plus, any knit will be an absolute bear to try and quilt (even stabilized).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When working with knits in a quilt, I suggest using a fusible woven stabilizer. I use Pellon Shape Flex Fusible Interfacing White SF101, and love the results. It is soft and holds up in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless you are planning to tie the quilt rather than machine quilt, I would definitely not use the knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used an old soft T-shirt once in a hand quilted top, it worked ok - the quilt-stitching was ok as long as the needle was really sharp. I have a photo of it at the bottom of this page - http://slootjesschilder.blogspot.com/p/qnutselen-draft.html
    You can see that it deformed a bit when the top was pieced - but not during or after the quilting.
    Always so nice to re-use!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To make your life a lot easier I would stay away from the knit on the back. You could use a stabilizer and include it in some blocks, but I wouldn't recommend using it all over. It will stretch and pull differently than your quilting cottons. And the best needle for knit is very different from the best one for cotton.

    Sounds like you might not be getting advice you want to hear, good luck.

    ReplyDelete