Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yum!

I've been reading some food blogs lately, including a couple that focus on running and healthy eating. I love looking at the photos of beautiful salads.

I've been trying to figure out what is so compelling about these blogs to me, and I think a big part of it is nostalgia. This one in particular makes me think back to the one year I lived by myself in a small studio apartment - the first (and now probably the only) time I was in a place that was all mine. It was sunny and clean and compact and perfectly sized for me. I loved this apartment and I loved my little galley kitchen and I loved to spend my evenings coming up with beautiful food to eat and trying new things out that definitely made me fall into the "health nut" category. I was single and had almost no social life and could spend my time and money playing with expensive ingredients.

(Also, the author is more of an "assembler" than a serious cook, which is pretty much how I operate in the kitchen too.)

This evening I waited until Buddy went to bed and The Dude went to rehearsal before assembling my dinner, so I could sit and really take it in. And then it was so pretty on the mat and my dishes that I just had to take a photo. It was even yummier than it looks (our camera is on its last legs).


So for tonight's delectation I had a salad of romaine lettuce over our "magic salad" base. This is made up once a week of shredded carrots, cabbage, and radishes, with green onions added, and then we eat it all week long either on its own or mixed in with lettuce. I also added sunflower seeds and Annie's Goddess dressing thinned with apple cider vinegar.

Then the last piece of my new favorite pizza, the Gourmet Veggie Pizza from Chicago's Pizza. At first I wasn't convinced by this - eggplant is not my favorite vegetable! - but now I love it wholeheartedly. Broccoli, grilled eggplant, onions, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzerella and fresh spinach on their awesome tomato sauce and crust.

And later for dessert a small portion of blackberry cobbler topped with low-fat yoghurt, made healthier by cutting back the sugar and using half spelt flour in the topping. No photo here - this was made last Saturday and everything has fallen together by now. It was beautiful when it first came out of the oven though!

And I have to point out that the napkin is a Merimekko print from the 70's, carried from Chicago to Germany (where I lived in high school) to Massachusetts and now back in Chicago again. Talk about nostalgia!

Happy dinner to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment