Sunday, May 9, 2010

Three Singing Pigs Say "La-La-La"

Okay, that's a quote from one of my favorite books to read to Buddy, "Moo Baa La-La-La" by Sandra Boynton. I loved her stuff when I was a kid so it made me so-o-o-o happy to find out she has many books for the little ones. Anyway, this posting is all about my favorite songs to run to - the kind of songs that just get you going, no matter how done you think you are.

So, in no particular order, my top 15 songs to run to:
  1. "Let's Get Retarded" - Black Eyed Peas
  2. "Freedom" - George Michael
  3. "Head Over Heels" - The Go-Go's
  4. "Till I Get To You" - Nikka Costa
  5. "Keep Walkin' On" - Faith Hill (with Shelby Lynne)
  6. "Another Saturday Night" - Cat Stevens
  7. "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours" - Stevie Wonder
  8. "Everlasting Love" - Carl Carlton
  9. "Under Pressure" - Queen
  10. "Yell Fire" - Michael Franti
  11. "We Are Family" - Sister Sledge
  12. "I Can't Wait To Meetchu" - Macy Gray
  13. "Authority Song" - John Mellencamp
  14. "Pa' Bailar" - Bajofondo Tango Club
  15. "You Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC
One thing I love about these songs, besides the fact that they can get me going like nothing else can, is that by now I've accumulated memories of running with them. So "Freedom" comes on my iPod, for example, and I remember being on the treadmill in the gym this winter, on one of my first runs after several weeks of nursing my injured foot, and how glorious it felt to be running at all. Every one of these songs has some memory of feeling good on a run - at peace on a sunny Sunday afternoon, or triumphantly gutting through that last 800m repeat before heading off to work, or heading out on a long run exploring someplace new, knowing I can go anywhere and still get myself home on my own two feet. Feeling powerful, and peaceful, and with a full heart.

God, I love to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment