Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cookies, Cookies, and More Cookies

There's been a lot of cookie baking going on around here this past week, which is kind of silly, 'cause it's also been hot and humid. I had to do my baking when everyone else was either out of the house or asleep, so I wouldn't have to listen to the grousing.

The first batch was for me, just because. My favorite --- Spicy Oatmeal Raisin, heavily adapted from "How It All Vegan." Some of this got given away and a lot went into the freezer once I realized I would be doing other baking this week. My photos didn't come out well enough, but here's my version of the recipe:

Spicy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup quick oats
1 cup flour (I use half spelt, half all-purpose unbleached white)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp dried cardamom
½ tsp pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 banana, mashed
½ cup dry sweetener
2 tbsp oil
1 cup sour milk (milk or soy milk + 1 tsp vinegar)
½ cup raisins
½ cup walnuts
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. In a second bowl, mix the mashed banana, sweetener, oil, and sour milk. Add this wet mixture to the dry one, and mix together gently. Add the raisins, nuts, and chocolate chips and stir until just combined. Scoop spoon-sized portions onto a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Makes 30-36 cookies. Halves well.

The next batch was for a friend of mine, who won a raffle I set up at work. Peanut butter cookies from "Baking Illustrated," the same folks who do America's Test Kitchen. I do not mess around with their recipes. Though I have found that I get more cookies per batch than they do, so there's something I'm not doing the same.

Also from "Baking Illustrated," their oatmeal-raisin cookies. This was for my uncle D. I'm offering a batch of home-made cookies to anyone who donates $35 or more to Girls On The Run
(you can donate here: http://www.active.com/donate/BofABonusSM2010/AEllis193), and he was the first one to take me up on the offer. I'm hoping there are many more! I do have a picture of these:
Next week I've got more peanut butter cookies, plus the ever-classic Tollhouse chocolate chip, for a bake sale for Buddy's daycare. But coming up this weekend --- strawberry shortcake! I haven't yet decided if I'll make these with a biscuit or a scone base. Either will be good. I'm feeling a little overloaded on sweets myself --- haven't even tried the oatmeal raisin from last night yet.

(Of course, my late night baking party was fueled by my all-time favorite gorp: dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and peanuts. Mmmm, gorp...)

No comments:

Post a Comment